San Diego Postpartum Belly Binding and Vaginal Steams
with the traditional practice of Mother Roasting
Mother roasting, or mother warming, is a traditional process practiced by many cultures around the world. It is a term used to describe a variety of warming care rituals performed for the mother after her birth process and postpartum transition, including belly binding and vaginal steams. It is believed in many traditional cultures that a woman’s body is in a cold state after birth and that it must be rebalanced to restore health and replenish energy. The mother roasting practices can help assist with stimulating circulation and metabolism, encouraging the loss of water retention, and breaking up blood clots in the uterus.
The common theme throughout traditional postpartum beliefs is that the mother needs special care, products, food, and services to help recover. Mother warming can help facilitate this recovery process and may assist with reducing the duration and amount of postpartum bleeding as well as assisting to restore organs to their pre-pregnancy size. I have learned this process through my mentor in San Diego who has extensive knowledge and practice in traditional Mexican mother roasting practices.
A mother roasting session may include:
- Vaginal steaming baths to help stimulate blood flow and healing
- Herbal body baths to nurture and restore warmth
- Body massage with warming oils
- Bone closing or closing of the body with a rebozo
- Bandage belly binding in early postpartum (1-2 weeks) to provide abdominal support
- Malaysian bengkung belly binding as a mother progresses through postpartum and needs more support than the bandage provides
- Discussion of nutrition and the importance of warming versus cold foods to help the mother recover, support for lactation, and rest
Postpartum Belly Binding
Belly binding has been performed throughout many traditional cultures for hundreds of years to help support a mother in her postpartum recovery. The binding supports the return of the mother’s internal organs to their original, pre-pregnancy state. It also supports the womb in the involution process, reducing bleeding.
I practice two types of binding, Malaysian Bengkung binding and bandage binding. Malaysian Bengkung binding is typically a long 8-12 inch wide piece of fabric used to create a beautiful, flexible, and supportive bind that spans the length of the mother’s body from the pubic bone to the breastbone. Binding can help support the mother’s back, assist in improving breastfeeding posture, help close the diastasis abdominal muscles that separate during pregnancy, support the tendons and ligaments that are still loose from the relaxin hormone, and also help to return the belly to its pre-pregnancy state. Binding also helps to keep the mother warm by retaining heat near her core while also helping her to feel supported and secure.
When should you use bandage belly binding?
Bandage belly binding is used in the first week following birth and is a much gentler way of binding a new mother. It is also ideal for binding the belly of a mother who has had a Cesarean birth. The belly bandages are supportive yet have stretch so they allow more flexibility in the early postpartum days. Typically it is recommended to use belly bandage binding for 1-2 weeks and then using a firmer belly bind with the Bengkung wrap. Each belly bandage will last a few uses. 4-5 belly bandages are required for use during the two week period.
Mother Roasting Packages
The full process takes approximately 2-3 hours and is completed in the mother’s home, preferably as the last thing the mother has to do that day so that she can go directly to bed
to rest and fully recover.
- One immediate belly binding visit with elastic bandage binding, within 3 days postpartum
- 3 additional elastic binding wraps for the first two weeks postpartum
- One in home Bengkung binding visit around 2-3 weeks postpartum
- 4oz belly warming oil
- Add Mother Warming Rituals for $30.
- Vaginal steaming bath
- Herbal body bath
- Body massage
- Bone closing
- 4oz belly warming oil
- One in-home Bengkung belly binding